It's not uncommon for people to develop one or more cavities that would require our professional attention. When a tooth has been impaired due to decay, wear, tear, or injury, a standard dental filling may be the best solution. At Red Rock Dental, we strive to provide our patients with attractive, tooth-colored fillings that restore the tooth's function without sacrificing its cosmetic appearance.
What Are Composite Tooth-Colored Fillings?
A composite tooth-colored filling is used to repair a tooth affected by decay, cracks, fractures, etc. The rotten portion of the tooth will be removed and the space created will be packed with a composite filling.
As the composite fillings are tooth-colored, they can be closely matched to the shades of existing teeth and are more suited for use in the prominent areas of the mouth. As with most restorations, composite fillings are not permanent and may have to be replaced in the future. But they are very strong and will last many years, giving you a long-lasting, beautiful smile.
What Are the Benefits of Composite Fillings?
A filling helps prevent tooth decay in its beginning stages. Here are other benefits of having timely composite fillings:
- It also checks the spread of bacteria in your tooth. During the filling procedure, the harmful bacteria are extracted, stopping tooth decay and preventing further discomfort.
- Tooth-colored or composite fillings blend in perfectly with the natural teeth and help retain the aesthetics of your mouth.
- Composite fillings bond quickly with the tooth's surface and significantly strengthen your teeth.
- They provide additional support to the affected tooth.
- The process of composite fillings placement is minimally invasive and needs little removal of the tooth's enamel.
- Composite fillings do not irritate the surrounding gum tissues
- Composite fillings can easily repair chips, cracks, or fractures.
How Are Composite Fillings Fixed?
Composite fillings are usually fixed in one appointment. The process is begun by administering a local anesthetic, and the affected area is thoroughly cleaned and prepared for the filling. If the decay is present near the tooth's nerve, a particular medication will be applied for additional protection. The composite filling will then be exactly placed, shaped, and polished, reinstating your tooth to its original form and function.
It is completely normal to experience sensitivity to hot and cold when composite fillings are first placed; however, this will subside after your tooth gets used to the new filling. After your procedure, you will be given instructions to properly care for your fillings. A good oral hygiene regimen, eating habits, and regular dental visits will aid in the life of your new fillings.
Our composite fillings can have incredible benefits for your smile and long-term dental health. If you are experiencing any symptoms of a cavity, visit us at Red Rock Dental or call us at (702) 243-8788 to schedule your appointment.